Eric B. Sowell
The Coding Humanist
A Blog of Variegated Matters
On this blog I post on all subjects not related to my studies related to Christianity. As it turns out, this usually means it ends up being my technical blog. So why don't you go visit? You might find something interesting.
You can follow me on twitter. My twitter handle is @mallioch.
My Reading List
I needed a place to keep my reading list, so I decided to put it here. If you want to know if any particular book is worth reading, feel free to shoot me a note. And yes, I have read books before June of 2011.
- REST API Design Rulebook, Mark Masse
- The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations With or Without Slides, Garr Reynolds
- Dungeons and Dreamers: The Rise of Computer Game Culture from Geek to Chic, John Borland
- Sojourn: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 3, R. A. Salvatore
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative, Austin Kleon
- Exile: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 2, R. A. Salvatore
- Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1, R. A. Salvatore
- A Defense of Virginia and the South, R. L. Dabney
- Humanist Educational Treatises, ed. Craig W. Kallendorf
- The Great Tradition of Christian Thinking: A Student's Guide, David S. Dockery and Timothy George
- Wool - Omnibus Edition, Hugh Howey
- Designing for Emotion, Aaron Walter
- Redating the New Testament, John A. T. Robinson
- Common Sense, Thomas Paine
- Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
- Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades), Robert Spencer
- Terminal Freeze, Lincoln Child
- Fragments: The Collected Wisdom of Heraclitus, Brooks Haxton
- The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
- The Greek and Macedonian Art of War, Frank E. Adcock
- Thinking with Type, Ellen Lupton
- Rework, Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
- The Measure of the Magic, Terry Brooks
- Death Match, Lincoln Child
- Responsive Web Design, Ethan Marcotte
- Hackers and Painters, Paul Graham.
- Dead Sea Scrolls 1QpMic, 1QpHab, 1QapGen ar
- Apology, Crito, Plato
- Address To The Greeks, Tatian
- Presentation Zen, Garr Reynolds
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement, Eliyahu M. Goldratt, Jeff Cox
- A History of Christianity in Asia: Beginnings to 1500, Samuel Hugh Moffett
- Barbarians to Angels: The Dark Ages Reconsidered, Peter S. Wells
- Euthyphro, Plato
The picture in the background that you can hardly see was taken by Amelia-Jane. Because she was awesome enough to share this with an open license, I was able to use it. Yay freedom.
Every time I think about this project...memories. This was what kickstarted me into the world of programming. Kris was responsible for the business side of things, Jeremy the Flash bits, the installer and anything that was truly difficult technically, and I the Authorware bits, the Greek and the instructional materials.
A number of years ago we decided to stop selling it and shut down the company. I know some people still use this so, if you want it, here it is. If you find it valuable, shoot me an email. I always like to hear how my baby is helping people.
I frequently open my mouth and words come out. Sometimes I do this in public in front of groups of geeks who apparently think I have something to say. Here's my geek talk log.
Here are my upcoming geek events. Attend if the topic sounds interesting to you.
Touchy Browser Applications
I decided to go ahead and list my past talks. If I wait any longer, I'll probably forget too much. I know I'm already missing some but such is life.
Mobile Web Development with ASP.NET MVC 4
New Stuff in Visual Studio 2012 and .NET 4.5
Html5 Websockets: Real-Time Web
Getting Started with ASP.NET MVC
Responsive Web Design
What Client-Side MV* Frameworks Can Do For You
What You Can Do Today with Html 5 and Css 3 on Mobile Devices
Full Stack Day
Css for Developers
The What, Why and How of Client-Side MVC Frameworks
Beginnerís Introduction to Building Websites with ASP.NET MVC
Intro to MVC 3
Evolving Practices in Using jQuery and Ajax in ASP.NET MVC Applications
Take a Walk on the Client-Side
Intro to MVC 2
Things You Can Do with the Dynamic Language Runtime
Introduction to ASP.NET MVC, Part 2
Introduction to ASP.NET MVC
MVC2 Model Binders
Pimpiní Out ASP.NET MVCís HtmlHelper
Extensibility Techniques with ASP.NET MVC, Ajax and jQuery
UI Extensibility Techniques with ASP.NET MVC Ajax and jQuery